As we get older, we are all going to experience wrinkles in some form or another. This is a common occurrence that everyone has to deal with as we age. But many of us are more interested in learning what causes wrinkles as we get older. We are interested in finding a way to stop the development of this unfortunate occurrence so that we can continue to look as young as we can for as long as we can.
What is the Cause of Facial Wrinkles?
For the most part, wrinkles are ridges, folds or creases within the skin. These wrinkles most commonly appear as we age. But there are also unfortunate occurrences of people experiencing wrinkles at an age much younger than they should. No matter what the situation happens to be, figuring out ways to fight back against the signs of aging are definitely in your best interest.
In some instances, having wrinkles might make you look old, distinguished and filled with wisdom. But in today’s society, these things are not valued as much as they once were. People are more interested in youthful appearances. So doing whatever possible to reduce the signs of aging is definitely in your best interest.
There are certain companies that claim that their lotions, potions and pills can reduce or eliminate wrinkles, fine lines and crow’s feet. In many cases, this just isn’t that true. But at the same time, there are also plenty of wonderful companies that do have top-quality products that actually work.
For the most part, wrinkles typically appear on the body in the areas that experience the most exposure to the sun. The areas that we are talking about include: tops of the forearms, neck, backs of hands, and the face.
There are also two specific types of wrinkles that you should be aware of: deep furrows and surface lines.
For the most part, the more common wrinkle treatments only have the ability to reduce the appearance of fine lines. As far as the deeper creases are concerned, techniques that are more aggressive are often required – i.e. filler injections or plastic surgery.
The Main Factors Contributing to the Cause of Wrinkles
Sure, aging is certainly the biggest reason why people will begin to develop wrinkles. But it is certainly not the only contributing factor as you are about to find out. Some of the other major factors include:
- Smoking tobacco – this is a nasty habit to begin with and it can pose all sorts of health problems far beyond the appearance of wrinkles. But as far as wrinkles are concerned, the reason why smoking is so negative is because smoke reduces the blood supply flowing to the skin, and this has a big impact and can accelerate the signs of aging.
- Skin tone – you might not realize that skin tone plays a role in whether or not you are going to develop wrinkles, but it actually does. People with a lighter skin tone unfortunately experience more damage from the harmful UV rays of the sun. And as we all know, too much exposure to the sun unfortunately accelerates the aging process and the creation of wrinkles. So, if you have a lighter skin tone, it’s best to always wear sunscreen and avoid too much exposure to the sun. Avoid tanning beds at all costs!
- Genetics – genetic seem to play a major role in all facets of health, wrinkles included. If your parents unfortunately had wrinkles earlier than most other people, then there’s a real chance that you’ll also get wrinkles a lot earlier in life.
- Hairstyles – whether you know it or not, certain hairstyles will provide the face with more protection than others. Some hairstyles will protect your face from the sun better than other hairstyles, and this will actually make a difference in whether or not you develop wrinkles.
- UV rays exposure – some people have jobs that will expose them to more sunlight than others. Then again, there are certain people that like to spend much of their leisure time lounging around out in the sun. The more exposure that you have to the ultraviolet rays of the sun, the better chance you’ll have at getting wrinkles. So if you want to avoid wrinkles as much as possible, stay out of the sun.
- Facial expressions – certain facial expressions cause wrinkles. This is unfortunately true, and it is the reality that we have to live in. If you regularly squint, frown, or smile, you can develop fine lines and wrinkles around the eyes, around the corners of your mouth, and on your forehead. Since it’s practically impossible to control our reactions and facial expressions, this is something that you’ll either have to learn to live with or you can use top-quality anti aging products to help overcome these creases.
Treatment Options for Wrinkles
The main treatment options include:
- Over-the-counter wrinkle creams – there are many wonderful and effective over-the-counter wrinkle creams that you can buy in a local pharmacy. Or even better, skin care scientists are working hard to develop products that can easily eliminate wrinkles, and many of these companies are selling their products online. Do not hesitate to search for top shelf wrinkle creams, serums, and other products right here on the Internet. Look for an anti wrinkle ingredient like this one.
- Botox – botulism toxin is obviously one of the most effective ways to eliminate the signs of aging in the form of wrinkles. It’s also very expensive and requires a licensed dermatologist to inject poison into your face. So the obvious upside is that your wrinkles will disappear for a while. The downside is that you’re potentially putting your health at risk.
- Facelifts – facelifts are also a powerful form of cosmetic surgery that can eliminate wrinkles, fine lines and crow’s feet. As you can imagine, this surgery is very expensive and since it’s cosmetic in nature it isn’t typically covered by insurance.
- Chemical peels – chemical solutions are often used to eliminate the dead skin that will peel off of your face. When this happens, it helps to diminish the appearance of wrinkles as well.
As you can tell, there are many causes of wrinkles. And the good thing is that there are also many excellent solutions that actually work. Pick your favorite and test it to see if it’s to your liking.