As we get older, and our age starts to show, we will often notice that wrinkles begin to appear on our face. In many instances, individuals will begin to develop wrinkles between their eyebrows, below their eyes, on their forehead, and specific to today’s topic, they will notice lines around the mouth.
It’s kind of unavoidable, because everyone will eventually develop wrinkles around the mouth, but women seem to be more prone than men. Perioral wrinkles – also known as wrinkles around the mouth – are caused by a number of potential reasons including sun exposure, smoking, genetics and age.
The Various Types of Lines around Mouth
Whether you know it or not, there is more than one type of wrinkle that you could experience around the mouth. In fact, there are three specific types that we will discuss below. They are:
- Marionette lines – this specific type of wrinkle has the ability to make your face look like you are experiencing anger or sadness, even more so then ever. If you look angrier or sadder than normal, it is usually because of these marionette lines. They are vertical lines that go from the corner of your mouth all the way down your chin, kind of like the way the mouth of a puppet looks. Unfortunately, these lines make the face have a downturned look or serious or angry expression. Read more about them here.
- Vertical lip lines –wrinkles that appear around the lips are caused by lip movements that are irregular. Unfortunately, these are unavoidable if you suffer from them. Another name for this type of wrinkle is smokers lines. As you can imagine, when pressing the lips together while smoking a cigarette, you could develop these wrinkles, hence the name.
- Smile lines – nasolabial lines (another name for smile lines) are the lines that go from under your nose to the corners of the mouth. They are more prominently noticeable on women, and this is especially true as they get older.
Lines Around Mouth Prevention
The only simple way to completely prevent these lines from forming is to learn how to relax your face. Since happiness is the most common facial expression, it’s going to be difficult, if not impossible, to relax your face to avoid these lines. And quite frankly, the less expressive you are the less happy and satisfied you are going to be throughout your life. So it’s better to learn more about treatment options as opposed to trying to control your expressions.
Potential Treatments for Lines around Mouth
Some excellent treatment options include:
- Retinol – retinol creams are an excellent way to thin out and minimize the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles around the mouth. This substance is excellent for marionette lines, because it has the ability to make these lines smoother. Read more about retinol on this page.
- Topical creams – certain topical products for skin care are great for wrinkles around the mouth. Choose those that help boost collagen and elastin levels to improve the appearance of your wrinkles.
- Chemical peels and dermabrasion – both methods can remove the upper layer of the skin. This will allow new skin to grow and eliminate wrinkles at the same time.
We’ve barely scratched the surface of treatments for lines around mouth. Contact a skin care professional to receive further guidance.