Olivia is a 9-year-old girl that was on vacation with her mom in Mexico. She was having a blast and it was the best vacation she has ever been on. That is until her skin started to bother her. Olivia had complained to her mother about her skin feeling very uncomfortable. She had complained of serious burning after having applied the sun cream to her legs that they purchased at the local store. You wouldn’t believe what happened to her legs after that.
The result of using the sun cream that she purchased in Mexico was something that I wouldn’t wish upon even my worst enemy. This poor little girl had legs that look as though they were sprayed with a bottle of toxic acid of some sort. The sun cream literally melted her skin right off her body.
They haven’t determined whether or not it will result in scarring but there is a good chance that this little girl may carry those marks for the rest of her life. As soon as Olivia had complained, her mother frantically sprang into action. She tried washing off the sun cream as quickly as possible. As a result, the skin on her legs became very blistered and red as can be.
The worst part about it was that Olivia was forced to wear long pants the rest of the vacation in Playa De Carmen in the June summer heat. She’s returned back home and to this day is now extremely embarrassed about her condition and refuses to wear shorts or skirts.
My heart breaks for young kids when I hear stories like this. Life is hard enough as is when you’re young and trying to fit in is a battle these days. Now this girl has another battle that she has to fight, both mentally and physically.
The moral of the story is this, always known what you are putting on your skin and into your body. Never take anything for granted and treat it as if you were physically ingesting the product orally. Whenever possible, it’s always best to purchase products prior to your departure. That way you are well aware of what ingredients it contains and the potential risks of consuming them.
The mother did file a complaint with the company when she returned home and she was somewhat familiar with the brand because she had seen it on a shelf before. She just never used the product until then.
Know exactly what you are using and test small areas any time you try a new skin product. It’s not worth the risk of further damaging your skin. A little research can go a long way!
You may also enjoy: